Find out if you need a work permit to work in Canada
If your job category is listed below, you do not need a work permit.
However, you may need to meet other requirements. Read the information carefully.
If your job category is not listed below, you need a work permit
- Athletes and coaches
- Aviation accident or incident investigators
- Business visitors
- Civil aviation inspectors
- Convention organizers
- Crew members
- Emergency service providers
- Examiners and evaluators
- Expert witnesses or investigators
- Family members of foreign representatives
- Foreign government ofﬁcers
- Foreign representatives
- Health care students
- Judges, referees and similar ofﬁcials
- Military personnel
- News reporters, ﬁlm and media crews
- Performing artists
- Public speakers
- Students working on campus
Application for Work Permit
A current copy of the Application for Work Permit can be downloaded and is for people who are not
Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada and who wish to work temporarily
A work permit is issued if the application is accepted.
NEW: CIC has introduced a new Application for a Work Permit Made Outside of Canada
[IMM 1295] form.
It comes with additional forms and an instruction guide.
Please read the guide carefully as it contains important information on how to complete
All applicants must complete and sign their own individual form, including persons
traveling as a family.
Applicants who are under the age of 18 years must have their form signed by a parent